The Video Game Trophy Room: Episode 50 - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link


NES:
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Another game from my childhood. Back before the internet and before all the other Zelda games, all we had was our NES and The Legend of Zelda. When this game finally came out, I hadn't yet played the original Zelda. As a matter of fact, I actually got further in this game than I ever did in the first one (aside from when I beat it this year), even so, it always bothered me that I had never completed it.

And now here we are 22 years since it came out in Japan, and I have finally mastered it. This game gets a lot of slack from Zelda fans as not being true to the series, and I agree there are a lot of elements about the game that are different from their counterparts, but I think they are what give Zelda II a certain charm.

I really don't have much to say about it graphic or sound wise. It's a Zelda game basically sums up my feelings. Excellent gameplay, tight, responsive control, and catchy music from start to finish. My one gripe is that the music, while good, strays a bit from the first game, and all subsequent games for that matter. I suppose that's because Koji Kondo didn't do the score.

While it may never be an Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past, it will always hold a special place in the Zelda universe. Go forward players, take up the controller... save Zelda. This game could use some love.

posted by themoogle at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home
Archives